firefox wants to enter a misspelled email address in forms?

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Wed Mar 21 18:03:18 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-20-03 at 16:44 -0400, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> >> Glad you're recovering okay.  Anyway, this is no problem.  Just press
> >> the down key until you have the misspelling selected, then press
> >> Shift-Delete.
> >>
> > a,k if i'd only known it were so easy!  thanks matt.
> > it seems as though firefox is now reluctant to ADD new values for this
> > field, though.  so now that i've tried entering my real address in the
> > forms at lists.ubuntu.com, having deleted the previously-irritating
> > misspelled value, no new value is being saved.  any idea where i ought
> > to look to change this behaviour?  somewhere in the bowels of
> > about:config, perhaps?
>
> That's strange.  What version of Firefox are you running.  In 1.5, open
> Preferences, click Privacy, then Saved Forms.  Make sure the box is
> checked. Otherwise, I would just restart the browser and be patient.
> It's likely just a fluke.

hmm, i'm not sure it is just a fluke.  i've restarted several times and
am seeing the same behaviour, using
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/bazaar-announce
as a test case. The form on this page has two fields at the top, emmail
address and name.  Having deleted the incorrectly-spelled email address,
i find that no new data is being gathered for that field; but if I type
in a new name in the name field (e.g. "Total Stranger") that name is
retained in the formhistory list somehow  so i'm wondering whether
there's something unusual about the way email addresses are stored as
opposed to other data?  anyway it seems weird.

i should say also i'm using firefox 2.0.0.2 on ubuntu feisty.

thanks again,
matt

--
Matt Price