anacron: line continuation character in anacrontab

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Tue Mar 20 00:21:46 UTC 2007

David M wrote:
> Hmm, maybe I chose what turned out to be a too-deceptively-easy route?  ;-(

Yep.  That happens all the time to me with launchpad.

> Go to: launchpad.net
> -> Search [anacron] -> 1 result: "anacron"

Why would you search for anacron if you want to file a bug on anacron?
That's simply ludicrous.

> -> Select "anacron"
> -> Bugs (from the sidebar)
> -> Report a Bug (from the sidebar)
> gets me to:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/anacron/+filebug

The issue is that you want to file a bug on Ubuntu's distribution of
anacron (which always uses launchpad), rather than anacron itself (which
may not use launchpad, and may not even be affected by the bug).

The reason this is so confusing is that launchpad wants to be all things
to all people, but not everyone wants to let it. ;)

> This differs from your URL somewhat. So, *how* did _you_ get there? ;-)

I can't tell you.  It will jinx it.

All right... I don't know how I did it before, but this should work.

1. Goto launchpad.net
2. Click The Ubuntu distribution
3. Search for anacron (I know!  Give me a chance though)
4. Click "Source package "anacron" in Ubuntu (you could also click one
of the other few dozen packages, let's assume it applies to all versions
of Ubuntu).
5. Click "Report a bug" in the upper left.

> I took what seemed to be the most obvious route, so I'm puzzled it
> didn't eventually end up in the same place.

Obviousness is the bane of Launchpad's existence.  If I wanted an
obvious bug tracker, I'd use one with "bug" in its name.  If I want a
glossy, proprietary bug tracker, I'll use Malone.

> If the URL you've stated is the right place to file a bug, then I'll
> file a bug there. Very strange, though!

Indeed. ;)

Matt Flaschen