gdm failsafe problem after upgrade

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 18:23:33 UTC 2007

H.S. wrote:

> I have tried to comment out the sections relevant to wacom in
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and the errors from the log files have
> dissappeared (I am doing this remotely, so cannot verify visually).
> Looks like the graphical gdm greeter is now working, but I need to
> verify this somehow.

Okay, I just verified this remotely. I captured the root window of the
login screen and transfered the captured image over to my computer here
and it looks as expected. Here are the commands to do this capture
without having an X display (works perfectly remotely on an ssh session!):
$> sudo chvt 7 ; sudo sleep 5 ;XAUTHORITY=/var/lib/gdm/:0.Xauth
DISPLAY=:0.0 sudo import -window root /tmp/gdm-shot.png

hmm .. I am not sure if you need sudo for each of the three commands.
Also, you need to have imagemagick installed (for the import command).

> I am wondering, how to make xorg delete the wacom related lines from
> xorg.conf. If I change these lines manually (comment them out) and
> whenever I dpkg-reconfigure xorg, the lines reappear. This is on an Acer
> desktop (wacom module is related to tablet PCs I guess).

This is still unresolved. Any advice?