[Edubuntu] Upgrade or Re-install - Edgy to Feisty

Michael R. Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Fri Mar 16 16:17:58 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-16 at 03:28 -0500, Anthony M Simonelli wrote:
> I'm running LTSP 5 / Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy on a HP Proliant server at work
> for about 5 users (in the process of adding more).  I'm wondering the
> following:

I'm not using Edubuntu or LTSP, but I'll get the ball rolling with some
initial answers.

> -  Will it be very difficult to upgrade from Edgy to Feisty when Feisty
> is released?

No. The Update Manager will tell you there's an upgrade available and
provide you with a one click "upgrade" button.

> -  Should I wait about a month before upgrading to make sure there are
> no bugs in the upgrade process?

It's always worth waiting a little while. I've already done three feisty
upgrades myself ('gksudo "update-manager -c -d"' will do it).

If you have a test machine setup, then you can try out the upgrade
without affecting your active users.

> -  Will I have to upgrade the entire system and the Chroot environment
> as well?

Sounds Edubuntu specific. Hopefully someone else can answer.

> -  Will it be easier to backup everyone's home directory and re-install?

I don't think so, unless there's something unusual about Edubuntu.

> -  Will I get all of the changes in Feisty EXACTLY like I'd installed a
> fresh copy?  (i.e. Gnome Control Center)

Gnome Control Center is disabled by default in feisty. You can add it by
using the menu editor, though.

Doing the upgrade will give you all the latest versions of the packages
and should bring in everything depended and recommended by the
ubuntu-desktop  (or edubuntu-desktop in your case, I suppose), so there
should be no difference except for the extra packages you may have
installed yourself, which will be upgraded to feisty versions.

--
Michael R. Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>
http://www.suppressingfire.org/~burner/