I installed Tor and...

Jeffrey F. Bloss jbloss at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Mar 13 23:04:13 UTC 2007

Lorenzo Taylor wrote:

> Tor is supposed to implement en-to-end encryption, so by the time the

Not precisely. Tor implements a layered encryption scheme that only
affects traffic inside the Tor network (with your machine assumed to be
a part of that network). Beyond the Tor network, between the Tor exit
node and your final destination, everything you do is in the clear. If
you want end-to-end encryption you need to be using SSL/TLS, etc., in
addition to Tor.

> data leaves your computer it should be encrypted.  However there is a
> warning in the documentation not to trust tor if you need complete
> annonymity since tor is still considered to be experimental.  From
> playing around with it, however, I can tell you that the latest
> versions seem stable and secure enough for most tasks.  Just be sure
> the data you need to keep secure and anonymous is being routed
> through it properly.
[...]
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.3 (GNU/Linux)

I'm really not trying to pick on you, honest, but not only does clear
signing break sigdashes, you're using a known insecure version of
GnuPG. We're up to 1.4.7 now. ;)

--
     _?_      Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
    (o o)         Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.