OpenOffice 2.2 too good to be true

NoOp glgxg at mfire.com
Mon Mar 12 20:57:02 UTC 2007

On 03/09/2007 11:35 PM, NoOp wrote:

>>> Update: on the same 300Mhz machine booting into Dapper (2.6.15-28-386)
>>> fully updated on the second drive and running the Ubuntu'ized version of
>>> OOo 2.0.2 - this version is *expired* by OOo BTW yet is the most
>>> up-to-date in the Dapper repositories (again, simply opening up just a
>>> OOo (Ubuntu'ized) Writer start/blank document and with nothing else
>>> running) I get the following:
>>>
>>> CPU: 14% (avg)
>>> User memory: 103.3 MB of 281.7 MB 36.6%
>>> User swap: 0 MB of 203.9 MiB 0.0%
>>>
>>> OOo works as expected w/no noticable delays.
>>>
>>> When I get time the next test will be 2.1 OOo on this machine under both
>>> Dapper & Feisty.  I suppose that this sort of info should really be
>>> going to whoever is Ubuntu'izing OOo on Feisty... can anyone point me in
>>> the right direction?
>>>

>> Update: same 300Mhz machine w/OOo 2.1 (official from OOo RPM's)
>> installed on Dapper. Same situation as above with the following
>> exceptions: ubuntu-desktop removed & all instances of Ubuntu OOo 2.0.2
>> removed before installing OOo 2.1. Alien -v -k -i was used to install
>> the 2.1 rpm's - with the exception of the debian menur .deb which was
>> installed via dpkg, no reboot.
>>
>> Result:
>>
>> CPU: 14% (avg)
>> User memory: 117.6 MiB of 282.0 MB 41.7%
>> User swap: 18.5 MB of 203.9 MiB 9.1%
>>
>> So, user memory went up, but CPU stayed the same. All features of OOo
>> are instant and working just fine. No indication of the Feisty "paint
>> the screen in slo-mo" mode apparent.
>>

> OK, last post.
>
> Same 300Mhz machine w/OOo 2.1 (official from OOo RPM's) installed on
> Feisty Herd 5. Same senario as above; ubuntu-desktop removed, all
> instances of Ubuntu'ized OOo 2.2 removed etc.
>
> Result:
>
> CPU: 20% (avg)
> User memory: 136.7 MiB of 281.7 MB 48.5%
> User swap: 284.0 KB of 308 MB 0.1%
>
> All features of OOo
> are instant and working just fine. No indication of the Feisty "paint
> the screen in slo-mo" mode apparent.
>
> That's it... I'm going sailing. Have a good weekend folks.

I'm back :-) Apologies for the length of the post, but wanted to keep
the other results together with this update.

Prior to installing the 80 updates this morning, I restored OOo 2.2 on
the system; reinstalled ubuntu-desktop, OOo 2.2 & default java packages
(Java runtime environment is set to Free Software Foundation, Inc.
Version 1.4.2). Installed the 80 updates & took 2.2 for a test drive.

Result:

CPU: 21.2% (avg)
User memory: 115.5 MiB of 281.7 MB 41.0%
User swap: 23.3 MB of 308 MB 7.6%

All features of OOo 2.2 are instant and working just fine now. No
indication of the the previous Feisty "paint the screen in slo-mo" mode
apparent.

So, it appears (to me anyway) the something the this mornings 80 updates
fixed the problem.