OpenOffice 2.2 too good to be true

NoOp glgxg at mfire.com
Sat Mar 10 07:35:47 UTC 2007

On 03/09/2007 08:49 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 03/09/2007 07:01 PM, NoOp wrote:
>
>>> I've been testing on this old beast to see how things run on older
>>> hardware. The other 300Mhz just bit the dust (H/W related, nothing to do
>>> with Ubuntu), so I can't compare exactly any longer. However:
>>>
>>> Feisty OOo 2.2 (Ubuntu'ized) opened w/Writer & nothing else open is
>>> sucking down on average 40% of the CPU:
>>>
>>> CPU: 40% (avg)
>>> User memory: 126.0 MB of 281.7 MB 44.7%
>>> User swap: 1.4 MB of 308.0 MB 0.5%
>>>
>>> On my other old machine (450Mhz 256Mb) running Dapper OOo (official) 2.1
>>> and the same -- only OOo open w/Writer, I get:
>>>
>>> CPU: 8.9% (avg)
>>> User memory: 103.4 MB of 250.3 41.3%
>>> Used swap: 41.6 MB of 748.0 5.6%
>>>
>>> The above figures are from the standard Ubuntu included System Monitor
>>> application.
>>>
>>> I'll load the offical OOo 2.1 on the Feisty machine later and run the
>>> same test to see what the CPU loads are using that. If I get ambitious
>>> I'll then may try the offical 2.2 RC and see if there is any difference
>>> between the Ubuntu'ized version and the offical version.
>>>

>> Update: on the same 300Mhz machine booting into Dapper (2.6.15-28-386)
>> fully updated on the second drive and running the Ubuntu'ized version of
>> OOo 2.0.2 - this version is *expired* by OOo BTW yet is the most
>> up-to-date in the Dapper repositories (again, simply opening up just a
>> OOo (Ubuntu'ized) Writer start/blank document and with nothing else
>> running) I get the following:
>>
>> CPU: 14% (avg)
>> User memory: 103.3 MB of 281.7 MB 36.6%
>> User swap: 0 MB of 203.9 MiB 0.0%
>>
>> OOo works as expected w/no noticable delays.
>>
>> When I get time the next test will be 2.1 OOo on this machine under both
>> Dapper & Feisty.  I suppose that this sort of info should really be
>> going to whoever is Ubuntu'izing OOo on Feisty... can anyone point me in
>> the right direction?
>>

> Update: same 300Mhz machine w/OOo 2.1 (official from OOo RPM's)
> installed on Dapper. Same situation as above with the following
> exceptions: ubuntu-desktop removed & all instances of Ubuntu OOo 2.0.2
> removed before installing OOo 2.1. Alien -v -k -i was used to install
> the 2.1 rpm's - with the exception of the debian menur .deb which was
> installed via dpkg, no reboot.
>
> Result:
>
> CPU: 14% (avg)
> User memory: 117.6 MiB of 282.0 MB 41.7%
> User swap: 18.5 MB of 203.9 MiB 9.1%
>
> So, user memory went up, but CPU stayed the same. All features of OOo
> are instant and working just fine. No indication of the Feisty "paint
> the screen in slo-mo" mode apparent.

OK, last post.

Same 300Mhz machine w/OOo 2.1 (official from OOo RPM's) installed on
Feisty Herd 5. Same senario as above; ubuntu-desktop removed, all
instances of Ubuntu'ized OOo 2.2 removed etc.

Result:

CPU: 20% (avg)
User memory: 136.7 MiB of 281.7 MB 48.5%
User swap: 284.0 KB of 308 MB 0.1%

All features of OOo
are instant and working just fine. No indication of the Feisty "paint
the screen in slo-mo" mode apparent.

That's it... I'm going sailing. Have a good weekend folks.