New to Ubuntu

rmg at milray.co.uk rmg at milray.co.uk
Mon Mar 12 11:45:38 UTC 2007

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 08:09:45 +0100
Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic at dantian.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-03-10 at 00:41 +0000, rmg at milray.co.uk wrote:
> > When I plug in a USB drive it recognises it, puts the icons up on
> > screen then after a couple of minutes gives a load of "Unsafe
> > removal" messages and hides all the icons. Then it redetects the
> > drive and does it all again - and again.
>
> Does this happen with all USB drives or just one particular? Can you
> try another one?

The only other one I've got is the camera and I tried that.

> > Also it appears to be writing to the USB like crazy -
> > which is probably why if I plug in the camera it crashes it after a
> > bit and I have to remove the battery to reset it. (The camera is
> > configured as USB storage with the 'feature' that it's read only).
>
> I have no idea here, it always just worked for me

Rats.

> > I can't find wine in the package lists which is a pain because I
> > intend it to be Microsoft-free, the couple of things I need to run
> > under Windows (eg, a CAD system) *should* work under wine
>
> Ubuntu has several software repositories, not all of which are enabled
> by default. See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/
>
> Wine is in the universe repository, which you have to enable first,

I have universe enabled and searched for it in synaptic. Will have
another go.>
> > Actually I was told that you can use the Debian archives
>
> The person that told you this had no clue. Don't mix Debian and Ubuntu
> repositories, you would enter a world of pain, since Debian and Ubuntu
> are not binary compatible. Or rather, their compatibility changes all
> the time -- during development, Ubuntu syncs with Debian and there is
> s short window of compatibility, but then they grow in different
> directions.

That answer is not unexpected but the guy who told me could by no
stretch of the imagination be described as having no clue. I'd better
ask him.

> Why would you assume that the package you need will never be in
> Ubuntu? If all repositories are enabled there is hardly any difference
> between Debian's and Ubuntu's number of packages. And Ubuntu certainly
> views itself as being a general distro that is also useful for
> software development, so why wouldn't it have a certain cross
> compiler. If it is not there, you can request it by opening a ticket
> in launchpad https://launchpad.net/

h8300hms gcc, binutils?

> > How do I get rid of those blasted splash screen when it boots and
> > shuts down, I don't mean after X has started but on the initial
> > boot. I don't want the nuts and bolts hidden from me a la Windows, I
> > want to know what it's doing.
>
> Excuse my asking, but are you sure that Ubuntu is the distro for you?
> Wouldn't you be happier running straight Debian?

I'd be comfortable with it given it's what I'm using now but Ubuntu does
set up some things automatically that I struggle with in Debian.>
> It certainly is a personal preference, but why would you want to know
> this through every boot? Isn't it enough to know that it works and
> then forget about it? You can see what it is doing during boot by
> checking the following:
>       * Rund "dmesg" in a terminal after boot
>       * Go to /etc/defaults and edit the file bootlogd to enable boot
>         logging. Then you will have a bootlog in /var/log after the
>         next boot
>
> If you still want to disable the boot screen, you can do so in the
> bootloader configuration:
>       * Press Alt+F2 to open the run dialog
>       * Enter "gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst"
>       * Remove the "quiet splash" option: note that you have to remove
>         it several times: in the configuration section further up (##
>         ## Start Default Options ##) and in the kernel list at the end
>
> You might still not like what you see since Ubuntu uses upstart as the
> boot system, not sysvinit, and upstart's reporting is different
> (worse?). See http://upstart.ubuntu.com/ for how to configure
>
> > What's the normal monthly update volume?
>
> Depends. If a kernel security hole is found, it's immediately > 20 MB.
> Security updates are not that frequent, you can check the security
> mailing list archive:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-security-announce/
>
> You did not say which version you are installing (6.06  or 6.10 I
> assume) and which CD/DVD you downloaded, so it is hard to say if a
> more up-to-date version is available. But 232 MB sounds about right
> for the initial update after installing 6.06. Updated CDs are made
> available regularly for 6.06, but not all the time.

I got a 6.10 live/install DVD from linuxemporium.

--
Dick Georgeson