a problem with gnucash

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 00:08:18 UTC 2007

On 3/9/07, MICHAEL WEAVER <michaelweaver1 at btinternet.com> wrote:
> I have just started looking at the Gnucash application which I installed
> on my laptop via Apt in Ubuntu Edgy when I used my Wireless card at my
> Linux group.
>...I can't seem to add more than one
> account because I get some error message about parent accounts I think
> it is.
> Basically I have 4 accounts I would like to add and as far as I am aware
> they are all savings accounts.

I had trouble running GnuCash in Edgy and sought help on the
gnucash-users mailing list. My understanding is that the package that
made it into Edgy has some serious bugs, at least for the way I was
using it. The next version of Ubuntu (7.04 "Feisty") will have a
slightly newer version of GnuCash than in Edgy but unfortunately
Feisty will NOT have the latest stable release, which is 2.0.5.

To preserve my data I kept my system on Dapper because the Dapper
GnuCash is more stable, though it does not look as nice.

If you are adventuresome you can install from scratch (unfortunately
difficult) or find a Ubuntu-compatible repository with a newer
version.

> is it because as I am
> totally Blind,

I don't know whether you are being literal or figurative, but in any
case I am sure you can overcome the problem. The GnuCash help document
does a pretty good job of explaining how it works, so if their
procedures don't work, you are definitely seeing a bug.

I am using the Dapper version just fine, and I have several data
files, each with more than just a few accounts. I am keeping the books
for two (small) corporations as well as my own personal accounts as
well as my mother's.