Help required with ext3 partion on Edgy-Eft - V6.10

Gabriel Dragffy dragffy at yandex.ru
Sat Mar 10 19:15:58 UTC 2007

Romeo Dionne wrote:
> This is the original fstab writeout as of a fresh installation. This
> setup does not allow me write access to /dev/sda1 /linuxfiles even
> though the rw option is listed. I can read the drive, no problem; I just
> cannot write to it. Seems to defeat the purpose of having an extra drive...
>
> How can I modify the fstab to allow me to allow me to work with this
> drive/directory with the same ease as I do with my /home drive/directory?
>
> I have worked with different flavors of linux over the past 16 years and
> have never encountered this problem, mostly Suse and Mandrake/Mandriva:
> could never get Debian to install properly. Could never understand
> Redhat or use it much for that matter... Mandriva is currently my
> working O/S but wanted to give Ubuntu a good run as it seems easier to
> work with once installed, except for drive and file permissions.
> ("Frustration" This has got to be easier to work with for the home user
> (read "dummy") if any linux aspirations are turned towards this market).
>
> I have done extensive research in Ubuntu documentation, Man-pages and on
> the internet. Found one instance that dealt with a previous version but
> the fstab is written differently and the recommendation suggested does
> not appear to work.
>
> Please help!!!
>
> Thank You.
>
> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
> proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
> # /dev/hdb1
> UUID=2268060e-098e-4fc5-a593-3d8582ebb35d / ext3
> nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
> # /dev/hdb9
> UUID=dd38348f-b98f-4bf5-94ff-7e18470855cb /home ext3
> nouser,defaults,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 2
> # /dev/sda1
> UUID=d4231fcd-b695-40bf-87fa-d62e84377ca7 /linuxfiles ext3
> nouser,defaults,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
> # /dev/hdb8
> UUID=8a3883cd-3f98-4900-9385-9fda5a31dfb3 /tmp ext3
> nouser,defaults,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 2
> # /dev/hdb6
> UUID=77720aed-0a56-4018-81e8-7733752e7aa7 /usr ext3
> nouser,defaults,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 2
> # /dev/hdb7
> UUID=dac264ea-3020-4cc4-96ce-057cf0929c8d /var ext3
> nouser,defaults,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 2
> # /dev/sdb1
> UUID=2678F14778F11671 /winfiles ntfs
> defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46,auto,rw,nouser 0 1
> # /dev/hda1
> UUID=DE0C7A690C7A3D19 /winxp ntfs
> defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,uid=0,gid=46,auto,rw,nouser 0 1
> # /dev/hdb5
> UUID=f89efbcc-a892-489b-b318-8245a33bc9cf none swap sw 0 0
> /dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
> /dev/ /media/floppy0 auto user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0

> Make free worldwide PC-to-PC calls. Try the new *Yahoo! Canada Messenger
> with Voice* <http://ca.messenger.yahoo.com/>

It should be as simple as removing 'nouser' from the appropriate line
for sda1, also removing 'defaults' seems like a good idea.

I'd recommend you delete all the options like 'nouser', 'rw' etc.
Replace that part with "noatime"   that should be enough, no need to use
the other options unless you specifically need them. If that still
doesn't allow you to write then change it to "user,noatime"