New installation questions

Bill Mills-Curran bill at mills-curran.net
Sat Mar 10 17:19:07 UTC 2007

After years of using the RedHat distros, I'm now moving to Ubuntu, and
I have a couple of questions/problems.

First problem:

I have a laptop with a Dell wireless 1350 card (Broadcom BCM4306
chipset), and I have not been successful with the ndiswrapper
installation -- I can't seem to find the right files to install the
driver.  I have a couple of driver files, but not the right
bcmwl5a.inf (or bcmwl5.sys?) files.  I could use some help.  I've
looked at the ndiswrapper site, but no luck thus far.

Second question:

I've also installed ubuntu server, and I'm surprised that it does not
support a graphics display through ssh, accessed by (different) linux
workstation.  That is:

ssh -X ubuntu-server  (from a workstation)

I would expect to be able to run programs in graphics mode, displaying
through ssh, but no luck.  Is there a way to enable this, or are all
the server applications compiled without graphics?

TIA,
Bill