copy as root

NoOp glgxg at mfire.com
Sat Mar 10 01:35:44 UTC 2007

On 03/09/2007 02:34 PM, John Dangler wrote:
> Mario~
> Thanks for the info... I'll go read that link to see
> what the command is to substitute,,, :)
>
> On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 22:50 +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
>> On Sat, 2007-03-10 at 07:37 +1000, Nikolai wrote:
>> > Shouldn't "sudo nautilus" work? It does for me...
>>
>> Better to use gksudo to launch graphical apps with administrative
>> privileges: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo says,
>>
>> 'NEVER use sudo to start graphical programs. You should always use
>> gksudo or kdesu to run such programs, otherwise new login attempts may
>> fail. If this happens and at login an error message reports: "Unable to
>> read ICE authority file", log in using the failsafe terminal and execute
>> the command below substituting your username for user.'

Second that. Also take Michael's advise and tar what ever you want to
save. You can do it from the command line as he suggested, or you can do
it from the Archive Manager (File Roller 2.14.4). If you don't have it
installed (you probably do) then:

sudo apt-get install file-roller

It will appear in: Applications|Accessories|Archive Manager

With AM you can even save as a Zip, 7-Zip, etc., if you need to open &
access on your windows system.

For future reference, you can also create a Root Nautilus file browser
so that you just click & open from: Applications|System Tools|File
Browser (Root). Follow the instructions here (instructions are the same
for both Dapper and Edgy):

http://easylinux.info/wiki/Ubuntu:Edgy
<http://easylinux.info/wiki/Ubuntu:Edgy#How_to_browse_files.2Ffolders_as_root_user_in_Nautilus>