Laptop Reccomendation

Jim Smith jim at oz.net
Sat Mar 10 01:25:12 UTC 2007

Gabriel Dragffy wrote:
> Jim Smith wrote:
>
>> Scott W. McMikle wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to purchase a used older laptop and my intent is to run
>>> Ubuntu on it.  My plan is to surf the web, run Openoffice, and a GPS
>>> navigation program.  I am curious to what others have been sucessful with.
>>>
>>> Scott
>>>
>> I'm using a Sony VAIO VGN-FJ250P (widescreen) Pentium M, 1Gb RAM, 100Gb
>> HDD and DVD-RW. Almost everything worked at installation with a couple
>> of minor exceptions. The DVD-RW drive is not recognised at bootup UNLESS
>> there is a disc in the drive. Odd problem and one I've never heard of
>> before. Workaround of course is to leave a disc in the drive at all
>> times. Drive is OK as WinXPPro has no trouble with it. The built in
>> webcam hasn't worked yet but truth be told I've not given it a serious
>> look yet. WiFi was a nuisance at first but I installed KWFiManager and
>> now have no problems with it. This unit is Intel Centrino, so its all
>> Intel, graphics, WiFi and sound, no problems except as above.
>>
>> Your mileage may vary.
>>
>> Jim
>>

> Surely if you fire up the computer, then put a cd in the drive, linux
> will do it's thing and then give you an icon for it?

No it does not. If you try to use any Linux DVD player (xine, mplayer
etc.) the error message is "No device /dev/scd0." As above. If however,
the disc is in the drive _at bootup_ then the disc is recognised, the
icon is displayed and disc can be played normally. Also, if there is a
disc in the drive at boot and then that disc is ejected all subsequent
discs are recognised when loaded. In short there has to be some sort of
disc, even a blank will do, in the drive at boot for the drive to work.

Jim