Laptop Reccomendation

Jeff.Hodges at KingsMountain.com Jeff.Hodges at KingsMountain.com
Fri Mar 9 17:00:06 UTC 2007

Scott W. McMikle wrote:
> I would like to purchase a used older laptop and my intent is to run
> Ubuntu on it.  My plan is to surf the web, run Openoffice, and a GPS
> navigation program.  I am curious to what others have been sucessful with.

I've installed ubuntu/kubuntu on a Dell Latitude C610 (1.2ghz P3M, 1GB,
7200rpm 60gb HD, CD(r/w)/DVD, SXGA+) and everything worked fine. I immediately
ripped a CD (forget if I burned one). sleep worked, wireless, wired network.

I can heartily recommend a C610 outfitted as above as an excelent used buy
(I've purchased 2 of 'em) -- they can be had on ebay for under $400.

I didn't test further on that machine because I scrapped together enough $ to
finally upgrade and buy my first-for-me actual new computer (D820 (but ya
could by 6 used C610s for what I paid for it)), on which I've immediately
installed ubuntu (and will have some questions for this list; it hasn't gone
as smoothly as the C610 did).

HTH,

=JeffH