Network

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Wed Mar 7 10:41:38 UTC 2007

MO'D wrote:
> I've been tearing my hair out for a week with Ubuntu. I can get
> eveything to
> work fine if I don't expect my computer to go online ever again.

I understand your frustration.  I didn't have network on my old computer
for a while.

 Therefore
> no repositories and links to http sites. Anyway, I have bypassed the
> ethernet card in case it wasn't working properly

Is that likely?  When's the last time you used it successfully?  I would
expect this to work better than connecting to the modem directly.  If
you think the ethernet card is working, use it instead of USB.

> Is this the magic of open source?

Free/open source software is about freedom, not any particular
technological advantage.  However, you should be able to get your
ethernet working.

> Unfortunately the "eth0" and network configuration tools and commands to
> ping various DNS, gateway and IP addresses all indicate that the network
> connection is fine

Could you be more precise?  Can you post the output from:

ifconfig

ping -c4 google.com

, but there is a "problem finding a page" or connecting
> with a server when you open a browser.

I take it you're using Firefox?

> The configuration setup application says it can't find any "concentrator"
> activity on my ISP.

What configuration utility is this, and what is the entire error message?

Matthew Flaschen