Herd5 on older hardware

NoOp glgxg at mfire.com
Tue Mar 6 03:58:45 UTC 2007

On 03/05/2007 07:35 PM, NoOp wrote:

> - Network said it wasn't available, so I just clicked the network icon
> in the gnome panel & clicked wired network; as soon as I did it
> recognized my nic and immediately informed me that I have software
> updates available - 217 of the them! Haven't updated any of the 217 yet
> because I want to explore a bit before I do.

Interesting add-on:

I typically configure this machine for a fixed IP. So, after doing the
above I went to System|Administration|Networks and configured the wired
interface for a fix IP:

IP: 192.168.4.101
Netmask: 255.255.255.0 (the default)
Gateway: 192.168.x.1 (my router)

As soon as I did this the network monitor in the gnome taskbar stated
that I had no network connection. No proper ifconfig, no browser, no
network. So I rebooted.

Again, no network connection _according to the network icon_ in the
gnome taskbar, however I *do indeed* have a network connection; all is
working including updates & browser. ifconfig shows the proper interface
etc. So, I've no idea what the NetworkMager Applet is trying to do. I'll
uninstall it after the 217 updates.