Herd5 on older hardware

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Tue Mar 6 08:12:08 UTC 2007

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 19:58:45 -0800
NoOp <glgxg at mfire.com> wrote:

> So, I've no idea what the NetworkMager Applet is trying to do. I'll
> uninstall it after the 217 updates.

network manager doesn't like static (or any) configurations
in /etc/network/interfaces except for the lo loopback interface - it wants
to control everything with dhcp, as far as I can tell.

Apparently this is a Debian/Ubuntu peculiarity in the NM package, from
what I've read.

I work around it by setting static mac-to-interface-card addresses on my
wired/wireless router so dhcp always sets the same IPs

Peter