Dell going for Linux?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Mon Mar 5 20:25:25 UTC 2007

alex <aradsky at ne.rr.com> wrote:
> So Dell may now include Linux in some form in their computers.
> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS3822185143.html

Huuu... this news is exactly 12 months old now ! :-O ;-)

Still, it was a nice (re)read.

This passage toward the end is particularly encouraging I find:

**********
Dell replied, "We love Linux, and we're doing our best to support the
Linux community. We see lots of opportunity there. If the Linux
desktops could converge at their cores, such a common platform would
make it easier to support. Or, if there was a leading or highly
preferred version that a majority of users would want, we'd preload
it."

That's encouraging, because his requirements, standardization OR a
particular distro standing out of the crowd, are in the middle of
happening BOTH, thanks to the recent creation of the Linux Foundation,
that seems well armed and committed, and of course Ubuntu, which is
starting to emerge as a leading distro, backed by around 2 and half
years of steady growth and popularity already, and still going strong,
and even stronger and stronger if distrowatch is anything to go by.

--
Vince