swap partition won't mount

Gabriel Dragffy dragffy at yandex.ru
Sun Mar 4 19:59:29 UTC 2007

Gabriel Dragffy wrote:
> Alex Janssen wrote:
>> Alex Janssen said the following on 03/04/2007 01:45 PM:
>>> Hello to all,
>>>
>>> Some time back I remember noticing that my swap partition was not being
>>> mounted anymore.  This started after some update had occured.  I've read
>>> the mkswap and swapon manual pages,  checked that the UUID link in
>>> /dev/disk/by-uuid is also in fstab and pointing to the proper partition,
>>> /dev/hdc6 in my case.
>>>

>> Well, as usual, I jumped to ask the list before finishing my own
>> research.  I finally found the SwapFAQ at
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq?highlight=%28swapon%29 and
>> followed the instructions under trouble shooting to delete the swap
>> partition and recreate it.  It works!  Maybe someone could give us a
>> hint as to why this would have failed and why this fix works when the
>> system seemd to be setup properly already? Well, maybe this post will
>> help someone else.
>>
>> Regards to all,
>> Alex
>>

> Indeed, thanks, it helps me!! Well I haven't tried it yet, but I've been
> sitting on this problem for the last two weeks. Happens with a laptop I
> have running Feisty. It was running really slowly and had some serious
> crashes, then I noticed that the swap partition wasn't being used. I did
> swapon, noted the UID and compared with fstab, they were different. I
> updated fstab with the new UID and it still didn't get mounted after a
> reboot. I'll read that thingy you sent now though, cheers!

:(
Doesn't work with me. I do the mkswap thing, it gives me a UID of, for
example 123456, for good measure I put this in fstab. When I do swapon
-a it give me "swapon: cannot stat swap /dev/disk/by-uid/123456: No such
file or directory"
I had also given the swap partition a label of 'swap', when I do:
swapon swap
I get: "cannot stat swap" blah blah blah
How annoying!