All Dressed Up and Nowhere to Go (Wireless USB Adapter)

gary hypes ghypes at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 05:02:30 UTC 2007

Room A -- PC/WinXP --> wireless router --> DSL modem --> internet, works
fine

Room B -- PC/WinXP --> wireless adapter -- works fine

Room C -- PC/Ubuntu 6.10 --> wireless adapter

I've finally gotten my Ubuntu 6.10 system to recognize my Netgear wireless
adapter (as wlan0) ... and I've configured it (properly, I think), DHCP,
using my ISP domain (sbcglobal.net ) as the ESSID... and I think it "sees"
the wireless router that's hanging off of my WinXP system in room A; under
"Networks" an icon pops up that says "Windows Network."

But what I still don't have is any connectivity to the outside world. I feel
like I'm missing something, or haven't done something, but I don't know
what.

I've tried running pppoeconf, and it sees wlan0, but it keeps coming back
saying something about unable to get the ISP to acknowledge the Access
Concentrator. Also, in past years, when I've gotten pppoeconf to work over a
hard NIC to the DSL modem, it prompted me for username and password
information -- something which is not happening with pppoeconf now.

Any suggestions? I'm getting frustrated and desperate enough to think about
popping $250 for Ubuntu Canonical tech support. 'Rather not, though.

--
Gary Hypes

"Everything I know I learned at http://www.coasttocoastam.com"