network newbie question

Wei-Yee Chan chanweiyee at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 09:04:21 UTC 2007

Patton Echols wrote:
> No, not really. The OP had asked why he could not see a win share from
> his linux box.  You had advised giving the win box a static IP.   I was
> just suggesting that it isn't required to give the win box a static IP
> for the Linux box to see it.  A good idea to be sure, but not required.

No, but as I've said, it's better to be safe than sorry, especially when
things aren't working.

> I had previously thought "whatever" and never had any real problems with
> dynamic IP peers.  I'm persuaded by your argument though and I'm trying
> to figure out if there is any reason to *not* give the boxes in my home
> net static IPs.
Well, another reason I can think up of is when your hosting some form of
service on the internet, like a web server, for instance, where the open
port will be mapped to a static IP.  This, of cos, has no relation
whatsoever to internal networking.

If U haven't run into any problems yet, then I might suggest that U
leave things as they are.

Regards,

Wei-Yee Chan
http://chanweiyee.blogspot.com