Feisty-live hangs during boot with GF8800

Ari Torhamo ari.torhamo at saunalahti.fi
Thu Mar 1 19:45:11 UTC 2007

Hello,

I just bought a GeForce 8800 graphics card and tried to update my Feisty installation to use the card. That didn't work (thought that I did something wrong), so I deceided to do a fresh install. I burned Feisty daily of 1st of March and tried to boot from the CD. The boot process stopped before it got to the GDM and gave this error message: "Failed to start x server - fatal server error: no screens found".

By googling I found out that other Ubuntu users too are having problems when upgrading to this type of card. Because of this I thought to ask here what kind of experiences people have with using a recent Feisty desktop live CD together with a GeForce 8800 series graphics card. Have you been able to boot properly and does the graphics system work as it should.

I'm thinking of reporting this as a bug and would like to get a better picture of the situation before sending the report. If people using GeForce 8800 card generally are not able to boot from the live CD, then the situation is bad. I found no bugs in Launchpad though when I searched with "8800".

The card is OK BTW, it works under Windows.

Regards,

Ari Torhamo