More mileage from an ancient machine

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 30 02:29:21 UTC 2007

On 06/29/2007 04:45 PM, Peter N Spotts wrote:
> Folks,
>
> A friend of mine is turning over to a friend of hers a 1998 Dell
> Inspiron 3200 with an XGA color monitor and MMX "technology" -- my
> friend wasn't sure whether the processor was 166, 200, or 233 Mhz.
> How well might Ubuntu Feisty Fawn run on this, assuming the machine is
> otherwise in operating order? The recipient of this antique is
> interested in web browsing and email at the moment -- maybe some work
> with Open Office when she discovers it...
>
> I ask because my friend's cousin wisely suggested Ubuntu when my friend
> balked at installing Windows XP on the machine -- the recommendation
> of a commission-happy salesperson at her favorite computer store.
>
> Thanks for any guidance I can relay...
>
> With best regards,
>
> Pete

Your best bet for that machine is Knoppix/DamnSmallLinux/Win95.
<quote>
The Dell Inspiron 3200 uses 66MHz type memory and has 2 bank(s) of 1
socket(s) each for a total of 2 memory socket(s) . The Dell Inspiron
3200 comes standard with 32MB of RAM and supports up to 144MB of RAM
with 16MB of that in Fixed RAM. Choose from the memory modules listed
above for guaranteed compatible upgrades for your Dell Inspiron 3200.
</quote>
Ref: http://www.edgetechcorp.com/memory/upgrade.asp?cid=17666

Don't even bother attempting to install Ubuntu, Xubuntu, etc., on the
machine. Your best best is to buy an old copy of Win95 and MSOffice97
and run that. You can experiment with Knoppix & DSL, but if you really
want to maintain a useful machine (albeit with a poor OS) that can
reasonably run an office suite stick to Win95/MSO97 on the machine.
Don't even try Win2K or Win2KP. Sorry, but IMO that is your best bet.