Desktop Activation

Lars Ewell lewell at email.arizona.edu
Fri Jun 22 19:56:41 UTC 2007

To Whom it May Concern,

  I have been attempting to get ubuntu going
here, but have run into difficulties.  I downloaded
the software and created a boot CD, and
then attempted to boot my x86 intel machine
with the CD.

  I first got a ubuntu desktop that prompted me
for a username and password, which I did not
have.

  I then rebooted again, and was launched into
an active linux terminal, but there is no desktop.
i.e. just a line prompt but nothing else, no windows.
I attempted to initiate the gnome desktop via a
'gnome-session' command, but that did not work.
I got an error that referenced 'ELF'.

  Does anyone know how to initiate a desktop
with ubuntu?

  Thanks in advance.

  regards,

  Lars Ewell