Dealing with problems on ubuntu

ac "aec$news" at candt.waitrose.com
Wed Jun 20 21:02:03 UTC 2007

SteVe Cook wrote:
> How do deal with problems on ubuntu?
>
> At the moment it would often be quicker for me to reinstall ubuntu than
> sort out problems (normally created by me!).  working on the theory that
>   I'll learn a lot more about the system if I try and resolve the
> problem I'd rather spend an evening or two rooting through the archives
> of this list or asking it's users questions.

In the early days I did just the same thing. The bad news was I had
been adventurous and messed up, the good news was I had been trained
at M$'s knee where reinstall was the norm, so I thought my distro
reinstall was easy!  :-)

My learning process was (is) in several stages. Initially my curiosity
was too great for my experience. I tried to recover, and learned a
little each time, including reinstalls.

I also had problems making sense of many or most answers - usually
command line things. CL confidence is coming slowly and steadily, to me.

I now have more confidence and can usually avoid major problems, and
anyway have a fair chance to recover things myself using advice,
forums, and my own google use.

Things are not perfect for me yet, but I no longer need windows
(great!) and can pose useful questions and even mostly understand the
given answers!

--
ac
kubuntu user