Computer become very slow if left on.

Zatlite Minthar zatlite at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 14 23:31:09 UTC 2007

Hi,I've got a weird problem with using Ubuntu on my machine.Back when I had windows on this machine, I used to be able to leave the machine on for weeks at a time.Now, if I leave the machine on overnight the next day the machine starts responding very slowly.If I leave the machine unlocked, and some programs like firefox loaded, I can use those ok.But tasks like opening up my home folder, another program or unlocking the screen lock take ages and the machine becomes unusable.I can't even do a proper shutdown/restart because the response is too slow. Slow as in taking half an hour to do password checking etc.. I have to switch it off at the power button.Can someone help find the problem?I'm using an IBM ThinkCenter 3ghz, 1 gig memory and I've about 2 gigs of free space on my partition.Regards,Zatlite