beryl & ati x1600

Paul S paulatgm at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 17:30:00 UTC 2007

Luca Ferrari said the following on 06/11/2007 10:43 AM:
> On Monday 11 June 2007 Paul S's cat, walking on the keyboard, wrote:
>> Your beryl error messages suggest you need to start Xgl before starting
>> beryl.  Remember, ATI X1--- do not support AIGLX, so Xgl must be run.
>> Check out the wiki.ubuntu.com and search for Xgl to get the howto.
>

> Thanks, having enabled the xgl server now beryl works. The only two things I
> didn't find are:
> 1) the cube rotation among desktop seems to be disabled, but I read on
> Internet that it does not work with feisty, is it true?
> 2) it seems beryl catches all ALT_GR keys so I'm unable to use the modifier to
> print some special symbols (like @ on my italian keyboard). Any idea about?
>
> Thanks,
> Luca

I tried the compiz from feisty and the beryl from beryl-project (because
the beryl in feisty does not include support for Xgl).  Also, I use
kubuntu, not gnome.  For me, the cube would not rotate for compiz, but
would rotate for beryl.  I later found out that if I installed
gnome-compiz-manager, and used it to configure compiz, that the cube
would rotate on compiz also.  Anyway, if you are running beryl from
beryl-project.org, you should have the cube rotating.  Also, there is a
beryl settings manager that probably will allow you to change the
keyboard shortcuts to something other than your ALT_GR keys.  You'll
have to page through a lot of configuration stuff to find where your
keys are conflicting, but it should be possible.

There's something about the number of viewports (1 or 4) that is not set
initially .. I can't remember exactly.

I stopped using it for now because Xgl makes it a bit too slow for my
liking.

HTH,

P.S. check out opencompositing.org if you want to try out the latest
bleeding edge version.