Network manager acting up (no WPA)

Danny Colligan dannycolligan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 19:07:36 UTC 2007

I'm trying to configure my wireless network card to associate with a
WPA-protected WAP.  I was able to do this great for a while but today
my laptop just doesn't want to do it anymore.

The strangest part about this is that network manager doesn't seem to
recognize WPA options anymore.  The only non-greyed-out option I get
when I click on the nm-applet in the panel is "Manual configuration"
(instead of the normal listing of wireless networks and "connect to
other wireless network", etc.).  When I opt for the "Manual
configuration" and try to configure my wireless network that way
(through the "properties" button), after disabling roaming mode the
only en

Below is some info from the command line.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Danny Colligan

dannyc at feistylap:~$ ifconfig eth0
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:12377 (12.0 KiB)  TX bytes:7380 (7.2 KiB)
          Interrupt:5 Base address:0x2000 Memory:90000000-90000fff

dannyc at feistylap:~$ iwconfig eth0
eth0      unassociated  ESSID:"NETWORK_NAME"  Nickname:"ipw2100"
          Mode:Managed  Channel=0  Access Point: Not-Associated
          Bit Rate=0 kb/s   Tx-Power:16 dBm
          Retry limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

dannyc at feistylap:~$ sudo lshw -C network
  *-network:1
       product: PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 2
       bus info: pci at 02:02.0
       logical name: eth0
       version: 04
       serial: 00:04:23:55:42:fc
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ipw2100
driverversion=git-1.2.2 firmware=712.0.3:3:00000001 latency=128
link=no maxlatency=34 mingnt=2 multicast=yes wireless=unassociated
       resources: iomemory:90000000-90000fff irq:5

dannyc at feistylap:~$ sudo lsmod | grep ipw
ipw2100                72244  0
ieee80211              34760  1 ipw2100

dannyc at feistylap:~$ sudo aptitude search wpa
i   wpasupplicant                   - Client support for WPA and WPA2 (IEEE 802.