DVD Authoring on Linux just isn't ready for prime time (Was Re: DeVeDe? => Re: dvd authoring)

Jaime Davila jdavila at hampshire.edu
Fri Jun 8 01:02:30 UTC 2007

Scott Lockwood wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-06-07 at 08:54 -0700, George Farris wrote:
>>> Excellent! Is it in a repo somewhere?
>> No but I've been trying to get it in for a while.  If we all yell loud
>> enough maybe someone will put it in.  BTW how do you use VLC to backup
>> your movies?
>>

> I don't, that was another poster. I use dvdrip followed by devede. It's
> ugly, but it works.

For backing up, give k9copy a try. You can either create an iso that you
can then burn, or tell it to go ahead and burn it directly. It saves the
dvd menu structure, etc. It also, somehow, manages to create a 4.7 GB
dvd image, even if the original dvd was bigger than that.

Jaime J. Dávila
Associate Professor of Computer Science
Hampshire College
School of Cognitive Science