DVD Authoring on Linux just isn't ready for prime time (Was Re: DeVeDe? => Re: dvd authoring)

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Fri Jun 8 01:35:50 UTC 2007

George Farris wrote:
> No but I've been trying to get it in for a while.  If we all yell loud
> enough maybe someone will put it in.  BTW how do you use VLC to backup
> your movies?

Using VLC to rip a movie.  (Useful for thos Sony copy protected ones you
can't rip with other Linux tools)

Start VLC

File -> Open Disc...

Disc Type "DVD (Menus)

Device Name /dev/dvd    --- Don't leave this blank if it's still your
default.

Title  1   (change this to the apropriate title number.. use lsdvd to
see a listing of DVD titles, or try just playing each one in VLC until
you find the one you want :) )

Put a check in "Stream Output"  Click on Settings Button

Check "File" and Enter a filename.  I use a .vob extension.

Encapsulation Method change to MPEG PS  (The default, MPEG TS, won't
suffice, change that to PS, which is the DVD mpeg format)

Check "Select All Elementary Streams" if you want to include all the
audio and subtitle tracks  (or leave this off if you just want the
default audio with no subtitles.)

Note that some movies will loop indefinitely to the menu animation after
the movie is finished.. You have to manually stop VLC when this happens
(or else it will record indefinate reiterations of the menu).. It's easy
to see when the progress indicator reaches the end and starts looping,
but it does mean you have to watch it.