Grub issues

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Wed Jun 6 19:17:59 UTC 2007

lpiron at optonline.net wrote:
> I have installed Ubuntu 7.04 and the Grub detected the Windows Vista installation. I was able to successfully dual boot the system. Since then I installed Red Hat EL 5.0 and decided to choose Red Had Grub. Red Hat Grub didn't detect Ubuntu OS. It detected the Windows Vista but interpreted the partition incorrectly. However, I managed to edit the ~/grub/menu.lst to correct Windows Vista boot problem.
>
> I appended the Ubuntu's ~/grub/menu.lst to the Red Hat's ~/grub/menu.lst. But it doesn't want to boot into Ubunto ... and I do get the following error message upon selcting the Ubuntu from the updated Red Hat Grub ... :
>
> "Booting 'Ubuntu, Kernel 2.6.17-10-server
> root (hd0, 5)
>  filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x82
>  Kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.5.17-10-server root=/dev/sda6 ro quiet splash
>
>  Error: 17: cannot mount selected partition "
>
> I would appreciate your feedback to the issue.

Partition type 82 means hd0,5 is a swap partition, not your Ubuntu boot
partition.

Did you install Fedora on a different hard drive?  If your Bios is
booting from a different drive, Ubuntu is probably now on (hd1,5)
(Assuming you had 2 hard drives... things get complicated if you have
even more, or a combination of Sata and IDE drives)

If this is the case, you can edit that parameter (hd0,5) from the Grub
Menu until you find the right drive number.