VMware Server : recently stopped working on Feisty

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Sun Jun 3 19:27:55 UTC 2007

Hi list,

I am running Feisty and installed VMware server from the
Ubuntu/Canonical "Commercial" repository.
I worked fine until a few days ago. There were also a few updates to
Feisty in the same period, so maybe it's linked... but I have no idea i
particular.

VMware Server itself (the GUI) starts just fine, I can connect to the
local host, select a virtual machine, but as soon as I press the "power
up" button to actually start a VM, I get an error message straight
away:

"Unable to change virtual machine power state: The process exited with
an error: End of error message."

It does it with both my Win XP, or Gutsy VM. I tried creating a brand
new VM, but that yields the same error.

I restarted Feisty just in case (thinking maybe some of the recent
update required it, but didn't explicitly ask for it...), but that
didn't help.

The error message is worrying, looks like an internal error from within
VMware, so maybe not much can be done to fix it.

I googled for this error message, but didn't find much, only 9 results,
most of them in non english, or even non latin, languages.

So, is it just me, or do other people experience the same problem on an
up to date Feisty ?

--
Vince, annoyed... can't track Gutsy development anymore ;-)