Long Time Samba No Work-Need Expert Help On Samba/Networking-Ahhh, Some Success

jurgen.romer at jippii.fi jurgen.romer at jippii.fi
Tue Jul 31 19:15:05 UTC 2007

> On Tuesday 31 July 2007, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > Hello Jurgen,
> > Thanks for joining my bandwagon.  Maybe if enough
> > people agree something will be done. It's satisfying
> > to hear that I'm not the only one.  I intended to add
> > my smb.conf file on this post but after thinking about
> > what to say and composing it, I just overlooked adding
> > it. It's copied at the end of this post. Maybe it'll
> > be of some help to you getting Samba to work, hope so.
> > To make it clear, my ubuntu computer's name is ubuntu
> > and that's what I added the netbios name as.  Don't
> > give up, if I can get samba fully working anybody can
> > with effort, of course.
> > I do agree with you on the goodness of Ubuntu and it's
> > user groups and will eventually rid my other computer
> > of windows but there is room for improvement.  Good
> > luck to you on Samba. Also, see my comment on DHCP
> > below.
>
> I haven't joined this thread because I know little about Samba etc
except that
> I have had it working for several distros for the past 7 years.   I don't
> think it is that tough an issue.  I have a 4 linux box system along with 3
> WinXP boxes and have not had any trouble having them talk to each other.
>
> I will include the smb.conf that I have been using all this time and
will put
> +++  IN FRONT of the lines I believe I have changed/added.   Not very many
> lines.
>
> Note that this file gives me access to the ENTIRE machine, not just a
> user /home or other setup.  This is the way I want it.  There is still file
> write protection for those files not belonging to the user being used.
>
> Note also, this file does not include a lot of things that the feisty
smb.conf
> includes because I always copy this file over from the last install and it
> just works.
>
> =================   /etc/samba/smb.conf
>

> # smb.conf is the main Samba configuration file. You find a full commented
> # version at /usr/share/doc/packages/samba/examples/smb.conf.SUSE if the
> # samba-doc package is installed.
> # Date: 2006-05-02
> [global]
>
> +++	interfaces = 192.168.0.3 eth0
> 	bind interfaces only = true
> 	printing = cups
> 	printcap name = cups
> 	printcap cache time = 750
> 	cups options = raw
> 	map to guest = Bad User
> 	include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf
> 	logon path = \\%L\profiles\.msprofile
> 	logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile
> 	logon drive = P:
>

> [homes]
> 	comment = Home Directories
> 	valid users = %S, %D%w%S
> 	browseable = No
> 	read only = No
> 	inherit acls = Yes
>
> [profiles]
> 	comment = Network Profiles Service
> 	path = %H
> [...]

Thanks for the sample smb.conf file. I have tried with this file and
with Leonard's but without success.

I'm beginning to suspect that the problem lies with the automatic
IP-addresses - as Leonard also suggested. It seems that everyone that
has a working Ubuntu/Windows network with Samba has a fixed IP.

My DSL connection does not work with fixed IP:s. I've tried it with no
success with different configurations and discussed the issue with a guy
that seemed to know what he was talking about. The principle seems to be
that the DSL-provider gives an IP-number to the ADSL box, which either
acts as a DHCP server giving automatic IP-numbers, or it works as a
router with fixed IP-numbers. Anyway, in this system one can choose
fixed IP-numbers and the connection to the Internet works OK.

This seems not to be the system that my DSL-operator has. It seems that
the automatic IP-addresses for each of my computer are given from some
DSL-operator server in the net, not my ADSL box. For instance, each of
my computer has an own IP-number (of course), but also an own gateway
number and subnet mask number. In addition to this, there is a website
where one can test the "real" IP-address, i.e. the address that the DSL
provider gives to one's ADSL modem/router. In my home network, every
computer had a different "real" IP-number, suggesting that the DHCP
server was further out in the net, my ADSL box was not the DHCP server.

Well, if this makes any sense, could, please, someone with some
knowledge comment it? Can the problem be in the automatic IP-address or
is this nonsense?

Thanks anyway to Bruce and Leonard who kindly gave their smb.conf files.
Since the files didn't work for me, it seems also to suggest that the
problem lies somewhere else than in the Samba configuration?

Jurgen

__
Wippies-vallankumous on täällä! Varmista paikkasi vallankumouksen eturintamassa ja liity Wippiesiin heti!
http://www.wippies.com/