lvm problems

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Mon Jul 30 05:33:02 UTC 2007

trying to build a new server to replace one that failed.

root at lydia:~# pvcreate /dev/sdb1
   Failed to write physical volume "/dev/sdb1"

sdb1 is a 500 GB raid five array (hardware raid array) I've been trying to
create logical volumes but I am really close to saying "to hell with LVM for the
seventh system in a row" and using ordinary partitions.  unfortunately, the
snapshot and ability to move a partition is valuable in in this situation so, I
need to somehow get LVM to work.  First I need to do is get past the failure
above.  Yes, I have created a partition encompassing the entire 500 GB and I've
tried setting and not setting the label to be LVM but it always fails a right at
the very start.

Assistance would be appreciated.  don't e-mail directly because the machine that
broke was my antispam Gateway (ouch) and that only have access through Gmane.

---eric