Older Computers

ac "aec$news" at candt.waitrose.com
Sat Jul 28 16:33:23 UTC 2007

Pete Holsberg wrote:
> I'm thinking about trying to convince the people in my over-55 community
> to think of Linux when they buy their next computer.

Good to hear of some marketing and advocacy. Well done.

Are you targetting the purchase as retail 'new', or new as in maybe
recycled?

> Is it safe to say that all 2007 desktop computers with wired Ethernet
> will have no problems with (K)Ubuntu?

Mostly but not entirely - it will depend on what is at risk, and who
is around to support stuff.

The live CD suggestions are good.
I took my laptop and 7.04 kubuntu live cd in to a high street camera
shop recently to verify that the camera we wanted would work ok for
downloading.
We had no specific one in mind, and found that last years model was
ok, but this years model could not be set (by our sales guy) to work
- that we saw in those few minutes, anyway. I suspect it was his
finger trouble, but this years model also made the coffee, which we
did not want. So we chose last years model. It made a strong point
about Linux, and a sale. I left the assistant with the Kubuntu Live CD
for him to play with at home :-)

> Is it safe to say that even older ones with wired Ethernet will have no
> problems?

Similar answer. Although as you go back in time, the typical RAM
available is less. This can be vital if you use a Live CD, it will
need 256MB or so, and then still take a very long time as a test.

Wired connection - much easier than wireless anyway, but 7.04 is
pretty good.

A local club I spoke to did a project of installing on a toshiba Tecra
128MB RAM. A live CD was not possible (RAM), so the Alternate install
was used. Xubuntu chosen for lighter weight environment. Install
completed in 1 1/2 hours ok. A modern secure OS, just like that.  :-)

Xubuntu might need a little more support than kubuntu though. The
menus are less rich.

FOFM - friend or family member: every body has one of these for their
domestic computer support. fofm's are usually very windows based. Who
might be the Kubuntu FOFM? Yourself?
--
ac