Australian repository gone AWOL?

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Fri Jul 27 03:30:52 UTC 2007

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 12:08:08 +1000
Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:

> Does anyone know what's happened to au.archive.ubuntu.com? I'm getting
> connection refused errors when I try to update...

The Optus mirror is down: from a reply I got ( Optus "support" )

<quote> I can confirm that the server has been pulled offline at present
for emergency maintenance. We hope this problem will be resolved and the
service will be back online soon. Hopefully this will be completed in the
next few days.
</quote>

Apparently Optus don't bother to have backup/ failover servers in place
for this kind of thing...

 au.archive.ubuntu.com is pingable, but produces error 111 when any
apt connection is attempted.

$ host au.archive.ubuntu.com
au.archive.ubuntu.com has address 211.29.132.173
au.archive.ubuntu.com is an alias for mirror.optus.net.

I have temporarily changed my sources.list to point at

http://mirror.pacific.net.au/pub1/ubuntu/

I can't say I'm very impressed with Optus' attitude to this. Evidently it
is not high on their priority list.

Peter

cc: to the ubuntu-au  list...