Default SMB.CONF?, Ubuntuguide Confusion?

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 27 02:48:07 UTC 2007

It's been suggested to start from scratch using the
following links to do a proper Samba setup and be able
to map network drives from WinXP:
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty#Samba_Serveru

Ok, but here's my two issues:

1. Purged and reinstalled Samba but my smb.conf is
exactly the same as before the purge. What do I do to
get the original default smb.conf back into
/etc/samba.

2.In
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty#How_to_install_Samba_Server_for_files.2Ffolders_sharing_service

How to install Samba Server for files/folders sharing
service

    * Read #General Notes
    * Read #How to add extra repositories

sudo apt-get install samba smbfs

[edit]
How to add/edit/delete network users

    * Read #General Notes
    * Read #How to install Samba Server for
files/folders sharing service
    * To add network user
          o Read #How to add/edit/delete system users

sudo smbpasswd -a system_username(I presume
"system_username is the username I used in orig.
Ubuntu install which is how I originally added my
name:password into smabpasswrd via sudo nano as I
don't use gnome.)
gksudo gedit /etc/samba/smbusers

    *
          o Insert the following line into the new
file

system_username = "network username"

    *
The above command really blows my mind. I've really
never seen the smbusers file empty but tried the
gksudo gedit commands and the file was populated just
as using nano. but what's really baffling me is the
line:
system_username = "network username"
They are the same aren't they????  Why all the geek
kyrpto crap. If an example was given in these cases it
wouldn't be so bad. Other places in the guide had
examples.  Why don't it just say add 'username" and
stop confusing the newbies or am I missing something.
Some clarification plese so I can continue starting
over with Samba.
Thanks for some enlightenment,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net