Server vs. Workstation

Darren Mansell darren.mansell at opengi.co.uk
Wed Jul 25 14:23:23 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 08:21 -0400, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> I'd like to install Ubuntu on some half-decent hardware and use it to
> host some VMWare images for testing.  I wanted to use the Server install
> because it should have a smaller footprint, but to help ease
> administration it would be nice to have access to the graphical tools.

Can't really think of any way the GUI would ease administration of a
server environment?

> I know I'd get these by default with the workstation install.  Is there
> a way to install these tools and just have them accessible by using a
> separate computer and ssh with X-forwarding so the server would still be
> run comfortably as a headless system?  What packages would I need to
> install to do this?

I can't think of any way to stop the local GUI from running but still
allow forwarded X sessions, either X is running or it isn't. (If this is
what you mean?)

But I would say that a command-line Ubuntu server has everything you
need to admin it anyway. Including vmware.