Long Time Samba No Work-Need Expert Help On SAmba/Networking-Ahhh, Some Success Now

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 25 07:40:41 UTC 2007

> On Tue, 2007-07-24 at 13:50 -0700, Leonard
> Chatagnier wrote:
> > > before>also can't sudo umount
> /mnt/pavilion>device
> > > busy.>
>
> You (or some process) had the directory open. For
> exaple, if your
> current workng directory was /mnt/pavilion you would
> not be able ti
> unmount it.

Of course, how stupid of me. Thanks for reminding me
of that.

> > > etc share and the c share on mnt/pavilion. This
> must
> > > be confusing but tried to list it all as it
> > > happened.
>
> I think this is a case of to much too soon. Get ONE
> mount working, get
> it all figured out, and THEN start adding mount
> points and mounting
> other shares.

Will try again a little later to see if still working.
Hope the weird stuff stops or it will be a
distraction.

> > > Got any idea how to umount /mnt/pavilion or how
> > > fix the red /mnt* items.
>
> The umount is almost certainly because you (or some
> other process) had
> the directory open. The red /mnt items are a
> mystery, I haven't seen
> that before. You can't delete a shadowed mount point
> though, and I'm
> guessing that the shares were still mounted on them,
> somehow.

Yeah, wont forget that for a while. Eventually, the
/mnt/pavilion dir became highlighted in red also.
Before I got your reply, I shut down both machines to
see if that corrected it. Upon rebooting both, lost X
trying to get rid of those aggravating wacom, stylus,
etc errors #ing them out in xorg.conf but easily fixed
with dpkg-reconfigure. All the /mnt sub dir are now
gone, so fixed that

> > > Just to see a GUI like the windows Desktop or
> the
> > > like.
>
> You'll need some kind of remote desktop software,
> windows doesn't work
> like X. There's a thing called, um, VNC or similar
> that does this, I
> remember using it some years ago. And I think
> there's a program called
> rdesktop that is a Linux implementation of the
> windows remote desktop
> protocol.

Thanks for this tip. I'll check it out.
I've learned a lot(perhaps relearned) with your help.
Much appreciated and thanks,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net