Long Time Samba No Work-Need Expert Help On SAmba/Networking-Ahhh, Some Success Now

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Wed Jul 25 00:46:10 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-24 at 13:50 -0700, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > before>also can't sudo umount /mnt/pavilion>device
> > busy.>

You (or some process) had the directory open. For exaple, if your
current workng directory was /mnt/pavilion you woul not be able ti
unmount it.

> > etc share and the c share on mnt/pavilion. This must
> > be confusing but tried to list it all as it
> > happened.

I think this is a case of to much too soon. Get ONE mount working, get
it all figured out, and THEN start adding mount points and mounting
other shares.

> > Got any idea how to umount /mnt/pavilion or how to
> > fix the red /mnt* items.

The umount is almost certainly because you (or some other process) had
the directory open. The red /mnt items are a mystery, I haven't seen
that before. You can't delete a shadowed mount point though, and I'm
guessing that the shares were still mounted on them, somehow.

> > Just to see a GUI like the windows Desktop or the
> > like.

You'll need some kind of remote desktop software, windows doesn't work
like X. There's a thing called, um, VNC or similar that does this, I
remember using it some years ago. And I think there's a program called
rdesktop that is a Linux implementation of the windows remote desktop
protocol.

Regards, K.