kmail to evolution migration procedure (wanted, dead or alive)

Felipe Figueiredo philsf79 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 06:35:54 UTC 2007

On Qua 25 Jul 2007, Felipe Figueiredo wrote:
> Hello, all
>
> does anybody know a fine way to migtrate kmail to evolution in the following
> conditions:
>
> a) I have my contacts in a vcard db to import
> b) I want to sync with my Palm PDA
> c) I am using maildirs for my folders that I want imported, and I don't want
> to use mbox instead
> d) I have several filters I don't want to recreate
>
> I know steps a and b will be easy, but I included nevertheless for
> completeness of the procedure intended. I am currently using jpilot for step
> b, but I am considereing switching to gnome-pilot, after I have some time to
> test how it goes with evolution. As far as I read, I shouldn't have
> problems.

ok, more info now: the import of iCals went ok for the data, but I would
expect it to create the categories used by events, which didn't happen. Is
this a bug, or is it intended?

Same seems to happen with the contacts from the vcard file.

> Then I get to steps c and d, which really bother me. When I first try to
> open
> evolution, it tryed to import my mail folders into its dot-directory, but
> things didn't go well. More details on this after the new attempt finishes.

So, what happens is that every existing maildir looks like it was imported.
They all show in evolution. Inside each, evolution shows the three subfolders
from the maildir format (cur, new and tmp), instead of showing the messages.
But that's not the worst: inside the folders, each message file appears as an
empty folder. So much for maildir support.

> I am asking for sugestions on how to resolve the c and d situations.

Anxiously waiting for your input.

regards
FF