iptables

jack jdangler at terremark.com
Mon Jul 23 13:06:01 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-23 at 08:52 -0400, jonathan wrote:
> well done sorry that I wasn't much help.
>
> jonathan hopley
> deepak wrote:
>
> > Disabled ipv6 completely, reinstalled iptables. So far, it seems to
> be
> > working fine.
> >
> > johan wrote:
> >> My opinion too, I use shorewall, based on iptables. Removing
> iptables is
> >> not an option. I will debug iptables a bit. Or programmers of
> iptable
> >> here present in this mailinglist ?
> >>
> >> Greetz,
> >> Johan

> removing

> and

> seem to
> sending

> connection would
> previous
> did.

Deepak~
I just saw this again and I have to ask -
What exactly does
> ">>>>> since my last upgrade of iptables, file sending amsn doesn't
seem to
> sending
this mean?

In particular, what is 'amsn' ?
If it starts sending, and then hangs, it's probably not iptables
directly, since if there were a rule denying sending to a particular ip
address, subnet, net, etc., it would never start.
Mismatches in packets is also not a culprit directly of iptables that
I'm aware of...

I've heard that some people have had to remove ipv6 completely from
Ubuntu and its various implementations (kubuntu, xubuntu, etc) since
version 5, but it usually pointed to other problems which removing ipv6
happened to placate, but not really fix.

I would take a close look at your networking setup first, i.e. - if
you're running gnome, are you using network-manager ? ...
I would also look through the log files in /var/log and try running the
processes you are using from the commandline with a 2nd terminal window
watching the process and/or dmesg for other clues.

I looked back through the thread and didn't notice where you posted any
of your configuration info or output from commands like ifconfig,
netstat, hwinfo, etc to the list.  These are usually very helpful in
assisting you with determining the root cause of a particular problem.

I'm glad it seems to be working for you now, but do have a look at the
suggestions above and see if you can discover any other possible
causes...

Jack