Ubuntu media server

Robert Fitzpatrick lists at webtent.net
Fri Jul 20 14:47:41 UTC 2007

I have a SuSE 10.1 Media server now that has 3 SATA drives formatted as
an XFS file system as an LVM volume. I switched to Ubuntu on my
workstation and laptop, and love it so much, I want to try and use it
for the media server as well. I have a new media mb with processor and
ram, just want to take the drives out of the existing box and replace
everything else. The LVM is almost a TB and currently stores over 550GB
of music, photos and videos. I have MythTV installed, but never used.
Since I've always had issues converting my DVI/RGB output to my HDTV
input of YPrPb, once I get this going in the new system by using the ATI
Radeon™ X1950 PRO (it has direct YPrPb output), I will definitely want
to start using MythTV and see Ubuntu has these packages available as
well. I also have two tuner cards, the pcHDTV 3000 and Hauppauge WinTV
PVR 150.

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_pvr150mce.html

So, with that scenario, I am looking for any advice on whether I should
expect Ubuntu to see the LVM volume when installing or what? I have zero
experiencing with LVM other than the setup of this one and disk
checking. Of course, I'll have it backed up, but that is an awesome
amount of data that I would rather avoid having to restore. I have a
separate 300GB IDE drive in the box running the OS and storing
compressed backups. I plan to just make enough room with GParted to put
Ubuntu, reclaiming the space used by SuSE after a successful install.

Also, looking for any advice pertaining to my new media server setup...I
assume this document would be the best help except skipping over the
kernel changes for Nvidia and 64bit support?

http://patrick.wagstrom.net/tutorials/mythTV64/mythTV64.xml

--
Robert