The annual breaking-of-the-repos was late this year.

Michael T. Richter ttmrichter at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 00:30:33 UTC 2007

Every year, usually in the spring, the repos break in some way.  It's
kind of the Ubuntu equivalent of the Running of the Bulls or
something.  :D

This year the annual breakage was delayed by a quarter, but it's
happened.  For the past four days or so I've been getting (elided, key
spot in bold):

        $ sudo aptitude update
        Password:
        Reading package lists... Done
        Building dependency tree
        Reading state information... Done
        Reading extended state information
        Initializing package states... Done
        Building tag database... Done
        Get:1 http://security.ubuntu.com edgy-security Release.gpg
        [191B]
        Ign http://security.ubuntu.com edgy-security/universe
        Translation-en_CA
        Get:2 http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy Release.gpg [191B]
        Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy/universe Translation-en_CA
        Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy/main Translation-en_CA
        Ign http://security.ubuntu.com edgy-security/main
        Translation-en_CA
        Ign http://security.ubuntu.com edgy-security/multiverse
        Translation-en_CA
        .
        .
        .
        Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy-proposed/universe
        Sources
        Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy-proposed/main
        Sources
        Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy-proposed/multiverse
        Sources
        Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy-proposed/restricted
        Sources
        Get:6 http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy-updates/universe Sources
        [5133B]
        99% [6 Sources gzip 0]
        34.5kB/s 0s
        gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
        Err http://archive.ubuntu.com edgy-updates/universe
        Sources
          Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)
        Fetched 6B in 8s
        (1B/s)
        Reading package lists... Done
        $

This time it's not in that important a place -- universe sources,
edgy-updates -- so it's not a show-stopper (like one year's entire
security hierarchy!), but it's still a bit disconcerting to get error
messages every time I run a system update.  Can somebody in a position
to please take a look at that file and figure out what's going on?

--
Michael T. Richter <ttmrichter at gmail.com> (GoogleTalk:
ttmrichter at gmail.com)