Why are cron.hourly files not running?

Larry Alkoff labradley at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 16 00:50:13 UTC 2007

I have various files in /etc/cron.hourly and /etc/cron.daily that are
not running.

I just tested this by placing a simple executable file in cron.hourly
that runs the bash built-in executable set and directs it to a file
but the file is never created.

What could I be doing wrong?  Should the owner be the user admin?

-rwxr--r-- 1 root root 30 2007-07-15 16:20 set-test

I also tried changing the permissions to rwxrwxr-- like most of the
items in /etc/cron.daily which came from the original Kubuntu install
but it still doesn't run.

Hope someone can suggest what is going wrong.

Below are the technical details of how I tested and the entries in syslog.

root at kinda cron.hourly # cat set-test
set >/etc/cron.hourly/testing

ps ax reports that cron is running.

root at kinda log # tail syslog
Jul 15 17:17:01 kinda /USR/SBIN/CRON[1176]: (root) CMD (   cd / &&
run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)

--
Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX
Using Thunderbird on Linux