Low configuration

Jonathan Kaye jdkaye10 at yahoo.es
Fri Jul 13 17:34:14 UTC 2007

Allan Valeriano wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a friend who is running the Windows XP on a 128MB RAM & 10Gb HD
> computer, but she's having real problems with that (of course) and wants
> to get rid of windows.
> As she cannot afford to upgrade her computer right now, I suggested her to
> install linux there, but after checking the minimum configurations for
> Ubuntu (256MB RAM & 4Gb HD) I had to look after another choice. Well, I've
> found Xubuntu, which requires 128Mb RAM & 1.5GB HD.
>
> I'd like to know if 128Mb RAM will be too bad for her to run Xubuntu or
> not. I know it's going to be faster than running Windows XP for sure, but
> I'd like to really convince her not to go back and install XP again. I
> think her processor is a Pentium 2.
>
> What do you think? Will it be ok or is it still going to be slow?
> She is one of those users that just go online, check emails, talk on
> msn/gtalk, download songs/videos and sometimes use the Office. Nothing too
> heavy.
>
> thanks in advance for any help
> Allan
Hi Allan,
You might want to try Puppy linux which is intended for old low spec boxes.
http://www.puppylinux.org
Another option is Tiny Linux
http://tiny.seul.org/en/
Technical requirements:

    * processor : i386 or better
    * hard disk : 50 MB is enough for installation itself, but you will do
better with at least 80 MB
    * ram: 8 MB minimum, 12 MB or 16 MB is better
    * floppy drive :3"1/4
    * keyboard, mouse
In the linux world you're spoiled for choice ;-)
Cheers,
Jonathan