running kvm in non-X environment

Tomoki Taniguchi tomoki.taniguchi at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 17:06:35 UTC 2007

I am trying to test kvm on a new intel-vt enabled laptop.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM
I have installed ubuntu-server-7.04 with just a standard install.
i then installed kvm and qemu as instructed.
and i have successfully loaded the kvm-intel module.

now i am wondering if there is a way to run the kvm
in a non-X environment to reduce the initial overhead
of the host OS.

in the console i try to start kvm and i get
<snip>
(!) Direct/Util: opening '/dev/fb0' and '/dev/fb/0' failed
    --> No such file or directory
(!) DirectFB./FBDev: Error opening framebuffer device!
(!) DirectFB/FBDev: Use 'fbdev' option or set FRAMEBUFFER environment variable.
(!) DirectFB/Core: Could not initialize 'system' core!
    --> Initialization error!
Could not initialize SDL - exiting
<snip>

can anyone help me to get kvm working without X?

TIA,
Tomoki