SMART detected imminent failure of the hard disk...

Menachem Shapiro menachem.shapiro at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 16:31:20 UTC 2007

B"H
On 7/4/07, Michele Zarri <m.zarri at gmail.com> wrote:
> ... or in other words: "You are screwed"
>
> Hello,
>
> The hard disk of my dual boot (WinXP-Ubuntu) is about to die... I have
> managed to backup my /home (which luckily was on its own partition), but I
> still have three problems (plus many more I will discover eventually):

<snip>

> Of course if you could think of something else I should do that I have
> overlooked (wouldn't be a bit surprised) please send the suggestions this
> way!

I always find it useful to backup my /etc directory. It is small
(being mostly text files) and contains global settings from installed
programs. If I install the program again and it doesn't work the way I
expect it to, I can compare the config file in /etc to the backup I
made and see what is different.

Menachem