SMART detected imminent failure of the hard disk...

Michele Zarri m.zarri at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 22:24:09 UTC 2007

On 7/4/07, Jim Smith <jim at oz.net> wrote:

> Michele Zarri wrote:
> > ... or in other words: "You are screwed"
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > The hard disk of my dual boot (WinXP-Ubuntu) is about to die... I have
> > managed to backup my /home (which luckily was on its own partition),
> > but I still have three problems (plus many more I will discover
> > eventually):
> >
> > 1. Thunderbird
> > I have created a profile that I was sharing with the WinXP OS. Due to
> > the sizes of the partitions the profile was is actually on the
> > partition with Windows not in my /home. I would really, really like to
> > be able to re-use on the new hard disk, and my question is:
> > is it sufficient to save the profile on a DVD or should I export it or
> > something else?
> >
> > 2. Program profiles
> > I have set custom options in almost every program I use (e.g. pidgin,
> > konqueror, OpenOffice.org, gimp, ...) so I have now on a DVD all these
> > hidden directories that these programs have created.
> > I would like to re-apply my settings on the new hard disk, so my
> > question is:
> > is it sufficient to re-install the programs and then overwrite the
> > hidden directory they create with the ones I have saved on a DVD?
> >
> > 3. Gnome settings
> > Desktop appearance, beryl settings, MIME type associations and so on...
> > are they all in my /home or should I try to recover from the dying
> > hard disk other directories?
> >
> > Of course if you could think of something else I should do that I have
> > overlooked (wouldn't be a bit surprised) please send the suggestions
> > this way!
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Michele
> Some have good luck with getting one of those little cases that adapt an
> IDE internal drive (or SATA are available as well) to use an external
> USB port. You could then partition and format your new drive as you see
> fit, then copy everything you want from your /home partition also all
> you want from your WinXP from old drive to new.
>
> YMMV
>
> Jim

Thanks Jim.

I think I have seen one of these caddies in the office a while ago... it is
worth a try, although I am happy to say that I have managed to put on DVDs
almost the whole contents of the HD.

And of course thanks to Sven for the tip on Thunderbird.

Now all I have to do is to wait for the hard disk to die and then buy a new
one.

Cheers,

Michele