problem printing to smb hp lj: documents too huge!

Luca Ferrari fluca1978 at infinito.it
Thu Jul 5 07:08:36 UTC 2007

Hi all,
I've got an hp lj 2420 printer connected to a windows host and that I always
used, but now with my ubuntu 7.04 it is quite impossible. I've set up the
printer as lj 2420 postscript w/o foomatic but when I try to print even a
small pdf document (1 MB) it becomes very huge in the samba host (about 250
MB!) making the host itself very slow. The print too is made one page per
very long time (1 page at min). I've tried to set up the quality of prints,
reducing it, but nothing changed. Any idea about which parameter could be?
Should I install something specific?

Thanks,
Luca